So let's experiment- what are the things you hate about yourself? And more importantly how can you change? And don't forget the corollary- what are the things you love about yourself? And how can you celebrate them more?
[as always, I'll be the guinea pig-so here goes]
10 Things I Hate About Me
(okay, it's really only 5- but, work with me here)
1. I'm really judgmental. But, I can work on being more empathic.
What I really want is for people to do the right thing. But the right thing for me is not always the right thing for others. My new bywords? Practice Tolerance.
2. I'm really self conscious. But,I can learn to speak up more. What I have to say has just as much value as what any one else has to say. And more important, only I can say what's really on my mind.
3.I'm really stubborn about change. But, I can learn to look forward to change. Generally, it's not too bad and sometimes it's really fun. I just need to make sure I'm putting myself into positive situations- not reckless ones.
4. I don't take great care of myself. But, I can do better- especially once I realize that my friends and family want me to be around for a long time. Taking care of myself isn't only important to me, but to them.
5. I can be really introverted. But, I can make an effort to be more involved. Surprisingly, people actually want to see me and hear from me. I can make an effort to make more connections ( and selfishly, some connections can be really useful.)
10 Things I Love About Me
1. I'm very maternal- It makes me happy to take care of people and people appreciate being taken care of.
2. I'm really funny- even if it's only inside my own head. I can make myself laugh and that feels pretty good.
3. I'm smarter than I look- and being able to surprise people with some esoteric wisdom every now and again is pretty cool.
4. I may not be pretty, but I'm pretty strong- knowing that I'm strong physically and (sometimes) mentally gives me the courage to try new things. Pretty is as pretty does- but inner strength will take you pretty far. ( how's that for reiteration?)
5. I'm a good listener-which sometimes means I have a wet shoulder from people who need a willing ear, but it feels good to be there when people need you.
Okay- that's just a start. I will finish the list eventually- (so smooth your feathers, those of you who don't like inconsistency). But more important- do your own list. It can be pretty revealing to see what good things you acknowledge about yourself and what you know you need to change. Just looking inward is a good place to start- but remember not to stop there. Write the list, fix the list, then keep going till your pros outweigh your cons. Be the best, do the best that you can do from minute to minute- that's all that's asked.
One thing I love about you- You're the only you in the whole world. Keep on being you.